Trying to get kids to pose for photographs can be harder than herding cats. So here are some tips for taking better shots of your adorable, squirmy, little ones.
- Give them something to do – Your kid is bored while you’re fiddling with your camera. Let them do something while they wait – and make it something cute you can score a sweet candid shot of, like blowing bubbles, building with blocks, or throwing leaves up.
- Let them hold a toy for comfort – No one likes to wait around to be photographed, especially little ones. So help them feel relaxed by letting them hold a stuffed animal. And when you look back on that pic years later, you’ll remember the times when your tot couldn’t go anywhere without Casey Cat.
- Don’t be afraid to get messy – Some of the best pics are the ones that didn’t work as planned. Like when your kid jumps in a puddle or gets birthday cake all over him and everything else. So relax mom, it’s fine if the photo isn’t what you envisioned.
- Let them pick their own clothes – Your darling kid will be more relaxed and comfortable if you let her wear her fairy princess dress instead of that new sailor outfit you just bought that’s itchy and stiff. Just roll with it and you’ll get better pictures.
- Ask them to tell you a story that makes them laugh – Having them say “cheese” only gets you a forced grin. When you want the real smile, talk about a funny memory or have them tell you a funny story.
- Pick a statement background – Like cool wallpaper, exposed brick or murals. Avoid messy rooms, boring white walls, and anything where your kid’s clothes blend into the background.
- Have them run toward you – You know how your heart melts when they run toward you with their arms outstretched? Capture that memory on camera so you can see it forever.