8 Things A Guy Really Means When He Doesn’t Answer Your Texts
He’s Genuinely Busy
- When This Makes Sense: If he sometimes forgets to respond to a text, but he texts you back hours (or even a day or two) later apologizing and explaining his absence.
- When This Does Not Make Sense: If he doesn’t respond to something and does not text you again. It also doesn’t make sense if he waits a week or more and then says, “Sorry, I was busy.”
- What It Means: If the first scenario is what you’re questioning, then it probably means he’s genuinely busy. That does happen to some of us! Here’s the deal: if a guy is genuinely to busy to respond to a text but he really is interested in you, he will make a point of responding as fast as he can.
He’s Backing Off Because He Thinks Things Are Getting Too Serious
- When This Makes Sense: If you guys have been pretty hot and heavy, and you’re getting close to the “what are we?” talk, although you haven’t had it yet. If he doesn’t answer a more emotional text, this reason could make sense.
- When This Does Not Make Sense: If he stops responding forever. Then that means he’s already gone. Sorry.
- What It Means: Dudes can be weird, especially when they don’t know what they want. Sometimes guys are texting a girl they’re kind of into, but they’re not into that girl enough to be in a serious relationship with her. If they sense that she wants something serious and they feel like things are heading that way, they might just back off a little to give a subtle hint.
He’s Not Interested And Is Hoping You’ll Just Take The Hint
- When This Makes Sense: If he doesn’t text back and really doesn’t reply to your next text. Or if he DOES eventually reply and just gives weird, vague, one word answers that make you want to scream.
- When This Does Not Make Sense: This probably isn’t the case if he eventually respond to you apologizing or acting like he cares. Basically, if he continues to put in effort, this probably isn’t the reason he isn’t responding sometimes.
- What It Means: If a guy just stops responding to you, or if he doesn’t text you first anymore but answers your texts with one word responses and short convos, he’s trying to get a message across: he’s not interested. He doesn’t want to say it, because he feels bad, and he’s not ready to full on disappear just yet, but he’s hoping that you’ll get the hint from his lack of enthusiasm and move on on your own. Cowardly move? Of course. But it happens all the time.
- When This Makes Sense: If he doesn’t respond to a text for a few hours or, at most, a day, then texts back apologizing and saying something like the lines of, “Oh man sorry I’m such a jerk and forgot to answer.”
- When This Does Not Make Sense: If he goes days or longer without responding, then suddenly out of the blue responds and says, “I forgot!” If he does that, he did not forget. He was waiting for the moment he felt like texting you back and is now lying to you.
- What It Means: As someone who sometimes looks at my texts, thinks “I’ll respond in five minutes so it doesn’t look like I was sitting here staring at my phone waiting,” and then completely and utterly forgets to respond, I know this is something that can really happen. So, if he does eventually text back apologizing, and it’s been a few hours, then maybe he means it!
He’s Seeing Someone Else
- When This Makes Sense: If he never answers your texts or if he only answers them *sometimes* then abruptly stops answering at other times.
- When This Does Not Make Sense: Honestly, that’s hard, because there are more ways it does make sense.
- What It Means: If a guy just stops answering out of nowhere, then it could mean he’s seeing someone else. It’s as straightforward as that. Unfortunately, you’ll only know if you do some quality Facebook stalking. Or, you know, if you confront him.
He’s Ghosting You
- When This Makes Sense: He stops answering completely and basically disappears and you have no idea why.
- When This Does Not Make Sense: If he, at some point, tries to get back in touch.
- What It Means: Ghosting sucks. It means he’s not interested anymore but is too scared to say that to you. So, instead, he just stopped answering and started pretending you don’t exist. That hurts to hear, but it’s the truth.
He Doesn’t Know What To Say
- When This Makes Sense: If he stopped answering during a lull in the conversation, or if the conversation was dying and he just didn’t formally end it.
- When This Does Not Make Sense: If he goes days or weeks without responding or texting you.
- What It Means: If the conversation is dying down and then he just stops answering, then yeah, it’s possibly he just didn’t know what to say, so he said nothing. If he eventually does text you back, then it means that maybe he really just didn’t know what else to say. But if he does not eventually text back, then this isn’t the case, my friend.
He’s Terrible At Texting
- When This Makes Sense: He is very inconsistent, everything he says is boring, and he says some guy phrase like, “Lol I hate texting.”
- When This Does Not Make Sense: If you never hear from him again.
- What It Means: Yes, even in this day and age, some people suck at texting. I don’t know why or how. If he otherwise seems interested in you but is just off on the texting, it’s a good possibility that this is why. It just means he needs to work on his texting abilities – and as long as everything else seems solid, that’s not that big of a deal.