DETROIT (CBS Detroit) The annual pilgrimage to spy the best and brightest in Detroit steel is just around the corner.
That’s right, it’s Woodward Dream Cruise time.
The annual cruise kicks off at 9 a.m. August 17 on Woodward Avenue. Construction will be halted and the road should be avoided by anyone actually trying to get from point A to point B.
This is a day for cruising.
Cruisers know the nexus is at 13 and Woodward — the Northwood Shopping Center — where vendors sell food and gear, several car displays happen, and cruisers tell stories about the nights when the smell of burnt rubber and Suzy-Q burgers permeated Woodward Avenue.
But it’s not just an event for local classic car lovers, people come from all around the world to see this display of Detroit muscle.
Organizers expect upward of 1 million people on Saturday, and the week leading up to the cruise
So here’s what to expect:
- Beautiful cars lining Woodward, traveling from the south edge of Royal Oak to the north end of Pontiac.
- Lots and lots of people grilling and sitting in lawn chairs along the route, eyeballing the best chrome Detroit ever built.
- Lots of classic tunes pouring from the cars — and the crowd.
- Classic-themed specials at restaurants that line Woodward — including Duggan’s, Vinsetta Garage, Crispelli’s, Vinsetta Grill, Redcoat Tavern, and Hunter House Hamburgers.
- A full week of revelry — the cruise only officially happens on Saturday, but everyone in-the-know knows the cruisers will be out every evening that week, congregating at Northwood and other hotspots. Lawn chairs are welcome, but police tend to shut it down by 9 p.m.
- Happy cruising!